Careers and Internships
The MD sets up the operations of Make-A-Wish Deutschland. The MD is accountable to and works closely with the Board of Directors to forward the mission of the organization and ensure viability of the organization.
- Represent the affiliate as its Managing Director in all dealings with other organizations, individuals and the general public.
- Oversee all programs, services, activities and facilities to ensure that all program objectives are met in a timely fashion.
- Recruit, hire, train, supervise, evaluate and release staff in accord with affiliate policies and applicable laws and regulations.
- Prepare affiliate budget annually with appropriate staff and board committees; submit to Board for approval.
- Monitor receipts and expenditures and cash flow; report to Board regularly. Resolve any concerns or problems in conjunction with the Board.
- Decide matters of administrative and supervisory detail relative to affiliate operations, in accordance with policies and all applicable laws.
- Supervise the implementation of all Board and International policies.
- Participate as an ex-officio member of the Board of Directors and Board Committees. Further, contribute expertise and experience in all Board discussions.
- Solicit, collect and recruit applications for director positions on the Board.
- Provide Board Committees with competent staff support.
- Apply, in a timely fashion, for grants and funds budgeted for from outside sources.
- Research potential new sources of funds.
- Ensure that the affiliate has a visible and positive public image through media contact, speaking engagements, and presence at appropriate public functions.
- Remain current on non-profit issues and trends.
- Actively participate in meetings/calls with the International office and cooperate within the Make-A-Wish community
- Bachelor of Arts/Science in a social science, business or non-profit management program.
- Minimum of five years' experience as a chief executive officer working in conjunction with a board of directors.
- Demonstrated knowledge of board committee functions and structures.
- In addition, a minimum of two years' experience in non-profit or public agency management, including supervising paid staff and volunteers.
- Working Excellent knowledge of non-profit fiscal management, including accounting and budgeting.
- Demonstrated ability in public speaking, clear and effective written and oral communications, and effective negotiation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to bring an organization from a start up to the next level.
- Fluency in German required (written and spoken).
- Good level of written and spoken English.
- Commitment to the mission of Make-A-Wish, with the credibility and persuasiveness to secure support from others.
- A hands-on, engaged leader who functions effectively without being autocratic or political; must be a team player who is inclusive, flexible, creative, energetic, and fair minded.
- A self-starter with entrepreneurship- and fundraising skills, who is confident enough to express opinions, forging ahead when appropriate and holding back when necessary, and sensitive to the feelings and opinions of others.
- A manager who leads by example and exemplifies the values and ethics of the organization. Strategic thinker with a hands-on mentality.
- A decisive and resourceful individual with the willingness to accept responsibility and take charge of results, and is able to work successfully with limited resources.
- An organized individual with strong creative and conceptual skills.
We promote diversity in employment and are an equal opportunity employer (E/O/E). All applicants who meet the essential job requirements will be considered.